It’s National Nutrition Week and we take a look at a delicious protein-packed ingredient that can be incorporated into almost every recipe; eggs – an athlete’s best friend when it comes to a protein-rich addition to your meal. This natural, nutritious, and conveniently packaged food even has its own special day commemorating its value – World Egg Day on 13 October. And with the incredible facts and advantages of having eggs in your diet, it is easy to see why:
- Eggs are one the highest quality sources of protein. They set the standard against which many other protein foods are measured.
- This rich protein, found mostly in the egg whites, contains the right amino acids for assisting sportsmen in muscle recovery and development.
- Egg yolks carry the rest of the nutritional value, including a number of vitamins and minerals, and only contain about 70 calories and 5 grams of fat – great for growing girls who tend to eat a lot and are weight-conscious.
- Eggs are also rich in vitamins; including Vitamin D, Vitamin B12 and Vitamin A and many more.
- Vitamin D plays an important role in maintaining a strong, resilient immune system as well as naturally reducing inflammation.
- Vitamin B12 is essential for sportswomen as it plays a vital role in transporting oxygen and amino acids in the circulatory system to your tissues and muscles. It also protects against nervous system damage and enables nerve functioning. Carbohydrates also use Vitamin B12 to break down into glucose; enabling the body to absorb this glucose into energy.
- Vitamin A is beneficial to our eye health, growth of bone tissue, and the functioning of our immune system.
EGG-WHITE AND OAT PANCAKES
A quick and easy way to “shake up” your traditional breakfast.
- 160ml of liquid egg whites
- 1 egg
- 45g of raw oats
- Fresh strawberries or a fruit of your choice
- A pack of bacon
- Honey for serving
- Combine eggs whites, the egg and oats together in a bowl.
- Once combined, spoon the mixture into a greased pan using a tablespoon (about two per serving).
- Cook until both sides have browned.
- Serve with a fresh fruit of your choice, bacon and/or honey.
At The Investec Hockey Academy, we educate our players on proper sports nutrition. Moms and Dads – keep following our blog for more tips and recipes to help you ensure she has everything she needs to excel on the hockey field. After all, a healthy player is a successful player!