In our previous blog about the top training exercises that will complement your hockey training this year we explored the growing trend of yoga. This week we will jump into the reasons why high-intensity interval training (HIIIT) is making it onto the trending scene this year.
High-Intensity Interval Training is a super-efficient way of squeezing in that dig-deep workout on days when time is not your friend. A simple 15-minute HIIT workout can do more for you than an hour of steady-paced jogging. HIIT is generally used for any exercises that repeat short bursts of intense training followed by rest periods, which aims to get your heart rate up quickly.
HIIT exercises can include:
- Jump lunges
- Jumping with a skipping rope
- Box jumping
- Jumping jacks
- High knees
- Mountain climbing
HIT IT OFF WITH HIIT
High-intensity interval training has a number of benefits and advantages over other more steady-paced, endurance training types, including:
- The potential to burn the same or more calories in a shorter time.
- An improvement in the metabolism for a full 24 hours after your work out.
- The body burns up fat weight and preserves muscle weight.
- You can do it anywhere at any time that suits you.
- No equipment is required.
- It helps build endurance and teaches your body to use up energy effectively.
- Improves oxygen consumption (your muscles’ ability to use oxygen).
- Research results have also shown HIIT can reduce both blood sugar levels and blood pressure.
- It is highly flexible and efficient to fit into your time and space.
HIIT is a great way to up the challenge level of your workouts or simply try something different, plus it offers enhanced results in a shorter time. Why not train trendy – give it a try this year?